Dear Editor,
I am aware of the debate regarding gender-based violence (“GBV”) and the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia.
I have been reluctant to comm-ent up to this point, as prosecutor Andrew Cayley accurately set out the record in terms of the Office of Co-Prosecutor’s policy and the results of the investigation by the Office of Co-Investigating Judges.
However, following your publicat-ion of two letters to the editor by Silke Studzinsky, I am compelled to respond.
In her first letter (“Tribunal has failed victims of sex crimes”), Ms Studzinsky states: “It is evident that, since the beginning of the cases before the ECCC, sexual violence was not part of the prosecutorial strategy. This has been confirmed by Cayley’s predecessor, Robert Petit.”
That statement is a complete and utter fabrication.
It has no basis in reality, and I am surprised that a member of a Bar, which I assume Ms Studzinsky is, would risk making such a statement.
To be clear: my very first investig-ative request after having been sworn in July, 2006 was to ask the staff of the OCP about GBV.
In all the conflict situations that I have worked in, GBV is a fact that must be addressed if the evidence supports it.
That’s why all the indictments I have ever drafted, in all the tribunals I have worked in, have had GBV recognised.
In the case of Cambodia, however, the research, done by a credible gender researcher, showed GBV was widespread but not part of the policy of the Khmer Rouge leadership, and that whenever perpetrators became known to the hierarchy, they were sanctioned and, more often than not, executed for their crimes.
Based on that information, I concluded, as did the Co-Investigating Judges in their Closing Order, that the senior leaders over whom we had jurisdiction could not be held liable.
Respect for the victims of any crimes entails respect for the truth of their ordeal. The victims of gender violence in Cambodia deserve no less.
Gender-based violence far from overlooked
Labels: News
This entry was Posted by Stars and posted on Saturday, July 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM and is filed under News . You can follow any responses to this entry through the Comments Rss feed.
Popular Posts
-
It was shocked by the lengths that 21-year-old Xiaoqing would go to for love -- she has decided to go under the knife to make herself look ...
-
LOY Proteeb (Bonn Bondaet Proteeb) is without doubt the most magical of Cambodia's many wonderful festivals. Rooted far in the past, it...
-
Friday, 02 October 2009 15:04 Peter Olszewski and Lily Partland Siem Reap town submerged as main river burst its banks following typhoon.Sie...
-
Today, Littlefashion shares tips of how to choose colors for your lips. Find the reds, pinks, corals and other shades that match your skin t...
-
(CNN) -- Italy beat England 4-2 in a penalty shootout to reach the semifinals of Euro 2012 after their match in Kiev Sunday ended goa...
-
After School has announced their official comeback with the fifth Korean maxi-single album entitled “Flashback”. Several teaser images of...
-
Twenty minutes of a sex video featuring Japanese adult actress Sora Aoi was shown publicly on a big LED screen outside a shopping mall in ...
-
Friday, 22 September 2009 15:02 Ou Mom WHAT does Pchum Ben Festival mean in Buddhism? In the Khmer language, Pchum or Brochum means “a meeti...
-
Dear Editor, I write in response to the article “ Nuon Chea’s lawyers to face the bar abroad ”, published in the Post on July 2. The author ...
-
A couple of days ago, a sex photo scandal involving the recent Internet celebrity , Yan Fengjiao (闫凤娇), caused quite a stir online. The sc...
Powered by Blogger.
0 comments To "Gender-based violence far from overlooked"
Post a Comment